Health and Nutrition
A Healthy Start for a Better Life
Save the Children’s Health & Nutrition programs improve the health and nutrition of children worldwide, with a special focus on maternal, newborn, and child health and survival. Creating better health systems with trained health care workers is vital to long-term, successful outcomes.
In 2016, Save the Children has four major Health & Nutrition projects underway. Each of these has a general focus on issues of Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (MNCH). This is an area of focus for Save the Children, along with eliminating all preventable deaths in children under age five. Some statistics which helped us determine that focus:
- Globally, approximately 800 women die from pregnancy- or childbirth-related complications every day.
- 99% of all maternal deaths occur in developing countries.
- Every year, 7.6 million children die before they reach the age of five, nearly two-thirds of these deaths are from preventable or treatable causes, such as pneumonia, diarrhea, malaria and pre-tem births.
- Children in low-income countries are about 18 times more likely to die before the age of five than children in high-income countries.
Alongside our partners and donors, we are working together to change all this! The Global Goals adopted by world leaders during the United Nations General Assembly in September 2015 focus on very key targets to be accomplished by 2030:
- End preventable deaths of newborns and children under 5 years of age
- End the epidemics of AIDS, tuberculosis, malaria and neglected tropical diseases
- Combat water-borne diseases and other communicable diseases
The work supported by donors like you combines to deliver sustained improvements in maternal health, children’s health and nutritional status. Where do your donations go? This video about a little boy named ‘Doctor’ shows you how nutritional supplementation can work to save lives and improve children’s health. The generous support of Save the Children monthly LIFELINE donors helped ensure ‘Doctor’ received the help he needed, when he needed it:
Current Save the Children Health and Nutrition Projects
Save the Children is working in a consortium with Plan Canada and World Vision Canada, with a focus on the prevention of pre-term births. Our focus for the project, which is called Born On Time, will be in Mali. Click here to read more about Born On Time, or visit the Born On Time microsite.
Save the Children is working in nine different provinces in Afghanistan to improve nutrition for mothers, newborns, and children. Click here to learn more about this project.
Save the Children is working in the Amhara and Afar regions of Ethiopia, with an integrated approach to maternal, newborn and child health. Click here to read further about this project.
Save the Children is working in Malawi and Mozambique to reduce under-five child mortality through the use of high-quality integrated Community Case Management. Click here to learn more about this work.